1. Ndamukong Suh Neb – This is a no-brainer to me. During 2009, he was hands down the best player in college football. He absolutely took over the Big 12 Championship Game. Didn’t he have 4.5 sacks in that game? Jason Pierre-Paul had only 2 more than that in his major college career! If St. Louis is stuck picking #1, they may want to reconsider The thought of a risky pick like Bradford, and take the safe bet. Especially considering that the guy Suh terrorized in that Big 12 game, Colt McCoy, might be there when the Rams pick early Friday evening.
2. Gerald McCoy Okl – 4-3 or 3-4 teams would love him (he can line up at end in a 3-4 presumably). I’ve heard he’s a better pass rusher than Suh, but the stats certainly don’t show that. To me, McCoy is the obvious #2 on this list.
3. Jared Odrick PSU – A fast riser right now because he can project to a 3-4 DE. He may go as high as #7 to the Browns if they see him as this year’s Tyson Jackson. I see him more as a late 1st round pick. That would mean that a better team would be taking him and he’d have an easier road to success.
4. Dan Williams Tenn – He didn’t stand out to me but because 3-4 teams put a premium on his size as a potential run-stopping NT, he could go as high as the top ten.
5. Lamaar Houston Tex – In the National Championship game he looked so quick. He was perhaps the best defensive player in that game on that day. I could see him moving between DE and DT depending on what team takes him. He has more value to a 3-4 team in my mind.
6. Tyson Alualu Cal – Yet another guy who could be moved to DE in a 3-4. He seems to be gaining significant momentum as the dawn of the draft approaches
7. Terrence Cody Ala – A mammoth on the D-line. But he is a very fat guy. He may only be good for 20 plays a game. Maybe even fewer than that. But he has made a conscious effort to lose weight this offseason, and some 3-4 team will take him in the early to mid 2nd round at the latest.
8. Cam Thomas UNC – He’s a big dude who can play NT in the 3-4. I feel like a broken record when talking about these DT prospects.
9. Brian Price UCLA – His conditioning has come into question because of a poor pro day. He was projected in the 1st round early on but he is slip-sliding on the boards.
10. Mike Neal Pur – He was stellar at the East-West Shrine game and that has improved his standing. He could be used at DE by 3-4 teams.
Guy who would be higher if not for injuries: Arthur Jones Syr
Guys who will be picked higher than originally thought because they are big: Linval Joseph ECU and Torell Troup UCF – I don’t know much more about either guy to make a fair assessment.
Two Georgia guys: Geno Atkins and Jeff Owens UGA – They are on the small side so it may be hard for them to find a place in today’s NFL.<!--EndFragment-->